The South Coast Cricket Association will introduce a brand new look for the 2014-15 season, with the general committee ratifying many of the proposed changes proposed by the Board earlier this year.
Under the changes, there will be a new three tier top grade competition; Premier, first division and second division – each containing six teams, which will replace the former first, second and third grade competitions.
Third and fourth grade, which will be all one-day games, will remain the same as previous seasons.
The new competition will start after the October long weekend, with full rounds of one-day and two-day games scheduled. The T-20 competition will be fitted in around the rest of the competition.
South Coast Cricket Association president Tony Panecasio said the new format would take a lot of pressure off clubs and their players, alleviating the need for any Sunday cricket, apart from representative games.
“It will mean we won’t be clashing with winter sports, and will also give us the opportunity to schedule a spare weekend for finals,” he said.
Early indications are that there will be seven nominations for both the Premier and first divisions, with clubs invited to submit their plans for the upcoming season, including playing strength, and the Board will make a final decision at their next meeting on July 28.
Plans are also underway for a season launch, on a date to be advised, with matches between premiers Albion Park and the Konica Cup representative side and the South Coast Institute and an ‘Oldies’ side containing former top grade cricketers or officials.