SLEEPY Shellharbour Village rang with the sounds of sirens this morning as emergency services responded to a house fire.
At around 9.30am fire crews from Shellharbour and Warrawong, along with police and ambulance responded to a call out to find black smoke billowing from an Addison Street house.
The two residents of the house, who were outside when emergency services arrived, were treated at the scene by ambulance officers.
‘‘We got the call out at about 9.30 this morning that there was a house alight, on arrival there was a plume of thick black smoke coming from the windows of the building but it’s yet to be determined what the cause of the blaze was,’’ Shellharbour station commander Dennis Cornell said.
‘‘Both occupants were outside when we arrived and they were treated for minor smoke inhalation at the scene by ambulance personnel.
‘‘We had two crews from Shellharbour respond as well as one from Warrawong and we extinguished the blaze using hoses and breathing apparatuses.’’
A next door neighbour of the house said she had been told the house was on fire, but had not been told to evacuate.
‘‘I heard a bell ringing and then somebody was at the door telling me the house was on fire, but that’s all I know,’’ she said.