A case of deadly parvovirus has been diagnosed in the Shoalhaven.
The disease, which affects dogs and related mammals, but not humans, has a 91 per cent mortality rate in untreated animals. Vaccines can prevent the infection.
Shoalhaven City Council announced on Wednesday, March 13, that on Friday, March 8, the Shoalhaven Animal Shelter received a dog who was infected with parvovirus.
"The animal shelter immediately put in place control measures and have isolated the contact areas," the council said.
"Parvovirus has a 14 day incubation period. The animal shelter has implemented all necessary quarantine measures, which will result in some areas not being accessible to the public..
"Parvovirus is a fast spreading disease in dogs. It can be spread by dogs sniffing infected areas or faeces and anyone can walk through a parvovirus affected area and then walk the virus to another area."
The council encouraged anyone with concerns to contact the animal shelter or their local vet.