You may have wandered past Kiama Council chambers and wondered about the relic on display in the front garden.
The exhibit is a Light Mounted Japanese Gun, which was presented to the town of Kiama by the Lieutenant Commander Godden of the Corvette HMAS Kiama on February 6, 1946.
The Corvette had been built only two years earlier in 1944 and was named in honour of the seaside town.
Shortly after it was commissioned it spent a few days in Kiama and the captain Lieutenant Benson and the crew were given a Civic Welcome by the Mayor Alderman WR Holden.
Alderman Holden unveiled a plaque bearing the municipal coat of arms which was presented to HMAS Kiama by the municipality and was affixed to the ship.
The HMAS Kiama was adopted by the town and several organisations had sent comforts to it at various times.
The Kiama was more a work ship, they were called Corvettes, but were really minesweepers and were built to do fleet sweeping, which was about the only thing the Kiama did not do.
It carried troops, acted as escort, took part in bombardments and did patrol work.
On return from duty, the Corvette and its crew spent a week in Kiama prior to returning to Sydney to be “paid off”.
- The information in this article was kindly provided by the Shoalhaven Historical Society.