Kiama Council has engaged Studio GL to undertake a Kiama town centre study.
The town centre study will assist with council’s planning and development work and to inform the direction of future strategic planning studies and policies.
Studio GL will use Social Pinpoint, an interactive online mapping tool which allows people to post feedback, concerns and ideas related to the study.
Studio GL’s successful tender was selected by a committee which included council staff and planning committee members.
The study will take about three months and will consist of four phases which will include community engagement. It is anticipated council will have the final report early January.
The project aims:
• To accommodate growth in the town centre in a form that respects and supports the existing established character.
• To facilitate the articulation of a clear direction on the future development of the town centre.
• To provide a blue-print on where and how future development may best take place within the town centre.
• To provide guidance and direction for the statutory planning functions of Council, especially with regard to the LEP and DCP.
• To ensure that future development is financially viable, suits the needs of residents and is sustainable.
• To facilitate the achievement of the underlying principles, as supported by Council, for the improvement of the town centre.
The study will include an economic assessment of needs and opportunities and provide a town vision, clear direction for future urban design and documentation of requirements including planning controls and suggested infrastructure projects.
It is suggested that three facilitated workshops for residents and stakeholders will be held so that there is an understanding of the community’s ideas and needs.
The community is advised that council will also be embarking on the drafting of a Local Strategic Planning Statement (LSPS) which gives residents the opportunity to be part of a bigger vision.
Studio GL has experience in strengthening town centres through planning with recent work including the Port Kembla Façade Design Guide, Nowra CBD Development Controls and Scone Town Centre Master Plan.
Studio GL has partnered with HillPDA, a renowned property economics company, to developn town centre projects including the award-winning Five Dock Town Centre Urban Design Study.