Kiama Knights march into second straight grand final

THE Kiama Knights have qualified for their second straight Group Seven first grade grand final, after defeating the Jamberoo Superoos 26-nil on Saturday.

At the Kiama Showground, the Knights took little time to open their account, as Daniel Martin put Luke Sutton over to score in the fourth minute – the second straight week the prop has scored the opening try of the match.

Half Cameron Vazzoler converted and the host led 6-nil.

The Roos then went close to levelling the scores a number of times, including Joe Rokoqo being held up, but the hosts defence held firm.

The Knights then appeared certain to extend their lead but the pass from Tom Atkins to Jay Delaney was too far in front of the winger and the opportunity went begging.

Against the run of play, the hosts scored their second - a Vazzoler kick was touched by a Superoo, which allowed Matt Morris to toe the ball forward before Vazzoler picked the ball up and was awarded a try, despite the ball appearing to be well short of the line.

He converted his own try from the sideline for 12-nil after 28 minutes.

The hosts scored their second in as many minutes through Daniel Martin.

After the Roos were penalised for being offside on the kick-off, the next set Vazzoler stepped three defenders and put his hooker Martin over to score.

The half landed his third kick of the match for 18-nil - which is how it remained until the break.

The second half started flat, with both teams turning the ball over cheaply on numerous occasions.

But it was the desperate Roos who looked certain to score twice down their left edge but on both occasions, Matt Morris produced try-saving tackles on Jamberoo’s outside backs.

The hosts put an end to any chances of a Roos comeback when Ethan Ford barged over with 15 to play - a play which saw Jake Clarke sent to the bin.

Vaughan Thistlehwaite missed the conversion, as the Knights led 22-nil.

With nine to play, a melee erupted which saw Roos’ Jack Loveday and Simon Maslanka, as well as Knights’ Toby Nobes sent to the bin.

With the numbers advantage, the Knights scored their fifth try of the afternoon, when Jay Delaney dived over.

Cameron Whittaker missed the conversion, as it remained 26-nil - which is how it finished.

In the win, Kiama, who will now attempt to claim their first premiership in the top grade since 1985 when they battle Shellharbour in Sunday’s decider, were best served by Martin, Kieran Poole, Sutton and Whittaker, while Rokoqo, Jono Dallas, Dean Watling and Ben Barnard did  all they could for the Roos.

This story Knights march into second straight grand final | Videos and Photos first appeared on South Coast Register.