Teams edge closer to Group Seven grand final berth

FIVE Group Seven lower grade teams are now just one win away from playing at the Collegians Sporting Complex on grand final day, after wins in their respective qualifying finals on Sunday at Cec Glenholmes Oval.

Reserve grade

Jamberoo's Trsitan Watling. Photo: DAVID HALL

Jamberoo's Trsitan Watling. Photo: DAVID HALL

A strong defensive performance from the Jamberoo Superoos enabled them to grind out a hard fought 12-4 victory over a tough Albion Park-Oak Flats Eagles side in the qualifying final at Cec Glenhomes Oval on Sunday.

The match proved to be quite an arm wrestle as both sides played with a tough and physical mentality in defence.

On the back of a few penalties the Superoos scored the only try of the first half through hooker Cameron Brabender, who shrugged off a few defenders and muscled his way to the try line.

James Moore converted as Jamberoo led 6-nil at half-time.

Albion Park enjoyed having possession in enemy territory for lengthy periods but couldn’t capitalise as Jamberoo extended their lead through Adam Blackley who benefited from well executed left side attacking raid for his converted effort.

Jamberoo led 12-nil.

With ten minutes left the Eagles set their sights on a late comeback as Brock Harrison made an excellent line break on the 50 metre line and assisted Jake Todd with a grubber kick towards the in goal area.

Jamberoo held on for an impressive 12-4 victory and will now play Kiama for a spot in the Reserve grand final while Albion Park will play Shellharbour next weekend.

Cameron Brabender, Josh Saunders, Keiran Morrissy and Adam Blackley were Jamberoo’s best while Brock Harrison, Kyle Williams, Tyson James and Chad Pemberton were Albion Park best.

Women’s League Tag division one

Jamberoo's Carly Ryan. Photo: DAVID HALL

Jamberoo's Carly Ryan. Photo: DAVID HALL

The Jamberoo Superoos used a second half surge to book their spot in next weekend’s grand final qualifier against Kiama.

The Superoos could only manage one try in the first half, through Brooke Smith, the lead the Stingrays of Shellharbour 4-nil at the break.

But a brace from Carly Ryan, who also kicked three goals, as well as tries to Chelsea Tout and Tamara Sutton helped the Roos secure a 26-nil win on Sunday.

The Roos will now face Kiama at Ron Costello Oval on Sunday, while the Stingrays will battle Milton-Ulladulla on Saturday at Kevin Walsh Oval.

Under 18s

A dominant second half performance from the Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs helped them gain a 30-10 victory over the Berry-Shoalhaven Magpies in the under 18s qualifying final.

The Magpies got off to a flying start as Billy Hayburn crashed over from close range to give his side an early 4-nil lead.

Milton forced a few errors in opposition territory and took control of the match through their perfect execution in attack and hard hitting defence as Lachlan Self secured a double and Liam Conlon claimed a try of his own.

Tarje Whitford landed three conversions as the Bulldogs led 18-4 at the break.

Berry continued to cough up possession and couldn’t chase down Milton’s lead despite Billy Hayburn securing a double for the match.

Tarje Whitford came up with a try of his own and assisted the converted try of Cody Roach with terrific cross field kick.

The defending premiers ran out winners by 30-10 and will play the undefeated Albion Park-Oak Flats Eagles in the major semi final while the Magpies take on Warilla-Lake South.

Oscar Fitzpatrick, Cody Roach, Lachlan Self and Tarije Whitford were outstanding for the dogs while Ollie and Charile Parrish, Billy Hayburn and Kealan Blattner were Berry’s best.  

Third grade

Wreck Bay's Rivar Roberts. Photo: JAKKI HAYDOCK

Wreck Bay's Rivar Roberts. Photo: JAKKI HAYDOCK

The Mount Warrigal Kooris managed to get the better of the Wreck Bay United Bears by 18-14 in a thrilling qualifying final encounter.

The Bears got off to a spectacular start as Jared Sturgeon assisted a hard running Rivar Roberts who posted the first converted try for the match.

Wreck Bay led 6-nil.

On the back of few penalties the Kooris locked the scores up at 6-all through Jarrod Stewart while Ronald Gatt landed the conversion.

Wreck Bay took advantage of a 12 man Kooris side with Joshua Linnett being sin binned as Craig Paku scored directly of the penalty tap.

Wreck Bay led 10-6 at the break.

The defending premiers came out a better team in the second period and showed enterprise in their attack as Dylan Riggs and Ronald Gatt both claimed top notch tries of their own.

Gatt converted both tries as the Kooris led 18-10.

With just five minutes left, Rivar Roberts clinched a double for the match as his team look poised to come home with a wet sail but Mount Warrigal held on by the skin of their teeth to win by 18-14.

Mount Warrigal will play the undefeated Sussex Inlet Panthers in the major semi final while Wreck Bay take on the Jamberoo Superoos.

Dylan Riggs, Ronald Gatt, Matthew Fuller, Jared Stewart and were the standouts for Mount Warrigal while Will Ray, Rivar Roberts, Jared Sturgeon and James Little were Wreck Bay’s best. 

Women’s League Tag division two

Two tries from Lyndle Bartlett-Miller proved to be the difference for the Shellharbour Sharks, as they edged out the Kiama Knights 8-4 on Sunday.

Despite leading 4-nil at the break, thanks to a try from Carly Abbott, the Knights fell away in the second half.

The Sharks will now face minor premiers Albion Park-Oak Flats on Sunday, while Kiama will battle Warilla-Lake South on Saturday.

This story Teams edge closer to grand final berth | Photos first appeared on South Coast Register.