THE cream of the crop has risen to the top with category finalists announced in the 2018 Australian Surfing Awards, incorporating the Hall of Fame.
Big names like Julian Wilson, Tyler Wright, from Culburra Beach, and Steph Gilmore join up and coming stars and industry icons on the finalist's list with winners to be announced on stage next Tuesday, March 6, at QT Gold Coast.
South Coast surfers nominated for awards include Culburra Beach’s Owen Wright (male surfer of the year), Gerroa’s Sally Fitzgibbons (female surfer of the year) and Tyler Wright (female surfer of the year).
The 40th inductee in the Hall of Fame will be announced Monday, March 5th before officially being inducted at the 2018 Australian Surfing Awards Incorporating the Hall of Fame on Tuesday evening, March 6th.
2018 Australian Surfing Awards nominated athletes include:
- Male surfer of the year: Barney Miller, Julian Wilson and Owen Wright.
- Female surfer of the year: Sally Fitzgibbons, Stephanie Gilmore, Tyler Wright.
- Male rising star: Mikey McDonagh, Reef Heazlewood and Sandon Whittaker.
- Female rising star: Kobie Enright, Macy Callaghan and Piper Harrison
- ASB greater good award: Barney Miller Charity Surf Classic, Laeticia Brouwer and family, Brouwer Scholarship and Nev Hyman's 'NevHouse'.
- Peter Troy lifestyle award: Dave Rastovich, Mont and Lorraine Bryant and Warren Smith
- Milwaukee heavy water award: Mick Corbett, Ryan Hipwood and Jamie Mitchell
- Simon Anderson club award: Coffs Harbour Boardriders Club (NSW), Cowaramup Bay Boardriders Club (WA) and Noosa Boardriders (QLD).
- Surf culture award: Bells Beach Surf Film Festival, "On the Java Edge" by Jock Serong and "The Life of Brine" by Phil Jarratt
- Nikon surf video of the year: Maurice Cole by Peter Baker, The Big Wave Project by Tim Bonython and The Church of the Open Sky by Nathan Oldfield.
- Nikon surf photo of the year top 20: Alex Brunton (three entries), Craig Parry (x 2 entries), Jack Dekort (two entries), Jamie Scott (x 2 entries), Mark Onorati (two entries), Peter Jovic, Philip Thurston, Ryan Williams (two entries), SARIPS, Ted Grambeau, Trent Mitchell (two entries) and Woody Gooch.