A number of $3 million transactions have been featured among the highest-selling properties in the Illawarra for 2017.
The Domain Group’s Top Selling Illawarra Properties list (see gallery above) has revealed that the most expensive property of 2017 in the Illawarra region (covering the Wollongong, Shellharbour and Kiama local government areas) was Unit 11 at 72-74 Cliff Road, Wollongong, which sold for $3,793,000.
The 11/72-74 Cliff Road apartment was listed for sale off-the-plan for a cool $4.5 million in 2015. The unit was later listed in April 2016 for $4.65 million.
It sold in September 2017 to an Illawarra buyer.
The oceanfront penthouse contains four bedrooms and two bathrooms, and occupies the entire sixth floor of the east tower in the luxury development The Esplanade.
It looks over the harbour, has an internal floor space of 275 square metres plus 225 square metres of balconies, a five-car garage and lock-up storage.
“That penthouse is just magnificent,” selling agent, Rob Austin from Harrison Property said.
“Views right up and down the coast, out to the ocean - everything you could imagine.”
In 2017, agent Trever Molenaar from Molenaar and McNeice told the Mercury that the top end of the region's market remained strong, and that “$3 million is the new $2 million” in parts of the northern suburbs.
There were several other $3 million sales throughout the region last year.
The house at 2 Weaver Terrace, Bulli sold for $3.6 million.
The selling agents claimed this set a new suburb record for a house in Bulli.
In third place on the list was 1 Cater Street, Coledale, sold for $3,410,000. The Coledale beachfront home was offered to the market for the first time in 60 years.
Also in the $3 million club was 26 Paterson Road, Coalcliff, which sold for $3,350,000; and 32 Dovers Drive, Port Kembla fetched $3.2 million.
A real estate “record” was set for Port Kembla with the prestige home selling in early April.
The unit at 6/2 Barney Street, Kiama sold for $3,050,000. The single-level apartment is located opposite Kiama’s Surf Beach.
Also, 20 Woodland Avenue, Thirroul sold for $3 million in December. The extensively renovated home was on the market for 28 days.
Top selling homes
1. 11 72-74 Cliff Road, Wollongong $3.793 million
2. 2 Weaver Terrace, Bulli $3.6 million
3. 1 Cater Street, Coledale $3.41 million
4. 26 Paterson Road, Coalcliff $3.350 million
5. 32 Dovers Drive, Port Kembla $3.2 million
6. 6 2 Barney Street, Kiama $3.05 million
7. 20 Woodland Avenue, Thirroul $3 million
8. 19 42 Cliff Road, Wollongong $2.995
9. 6 Weaver Terrace, Bulli $2.95 million
10. 12A Bourke Street, North Wollongong $2.9 million
10. 6 Kallaroo Avenue, Stanwell Park $2.9 million
11. 10 Hyde Street, Coledale $2.758 million
12. 3/10 Barney Street, Kiama $2.73 million
13. 2/10 Barney Street, Kiama $2.7 million
14. 189a Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul $2.6 million
15. 35 Asquith Street, Austinmer $2.55 million
15. 181 Nuninuna Drive, Jamberoo $2.55 million
15. 4a Hyde St Coledale $2.55 million
15. 13-35 Asquith Street, Austinmer $2.55 million
16. 775 Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Coledale $2.51 million
17. 185 Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul $2.51 million
Source: domain.com.au. The results contain property sales information provided under licence from the Department of Finance and Services, Land and Property Information. In addition, results are based on agents’ reported data collected by the Domain Group. Some results from December may be missing.