Hat-trick and duck on debut

A MEMORABLE hat-trick on first-grade debut from teenager Ken Nguyen wasn't enough to prevent Gerringong-Jamberoo claiming first innings points against Shellharbour during Saturday's South Coast Cricket action.

Rain again wreaked havoc with the two-day encounters.

Both Gerringong-Jamberoo v Shellharbour at Kevin Walsh Oval and Oak Flats against Albion Park at Geoff Shaw Oval were washed out in week one.

Oddly enough, both games produced first innings points last weekend.

Gerringong/Jamberoo won the toss and elected to bowl, skittling Shellharbour for 56 in just 20.5 overs.

Only two batsmen notched up double figures, Scott Adams taking 5-32.

In reply, the Jets reached the required total for first innings points for the loss of just three wickets before declaring.

Nguyen (3-11) bagged the hat-trick after registering a duck with the bat, bowling Jets skipper David Reid with the hat-trick ball.

The 16-year-old left-arm paceman said he still couldn't believe it happened.

"[Running in for the hat-trick ball] I was hoping to keep it in the same spot as my second wicket.

"It swung in nicely and hit the top of middle stump."

Nguyen, who had previously bagged a hat-trick in under-16s, played third grade last summer and made his second-grade debut in the opening week of this season.

He took four wickets and made a valuable 22 not out, prompting his promotion.

Shellharbour then proceeded to belt 2-240 from a mere 33 overs in their second innings.

Brynley Richards followed up his 97 against Warilla in round one with an unbeaten 107, including 17 fours and two sixes.

Opener James Keywood made 77 as Shellharbour picked up three bonus points.

Meanwhile, Oak Flats won the toss and sent the Eagles in.

The Park were bowled out for just 96, Joel Gray (3-9), Andrew Povey (2-7) and Ryan Chatterton (2-19) the stand-outs with the ball for the Rats.

Thanks to Michael Arblaster (43 not out) and Nathan Brown (28 not out) Oak Flats achieved the required target with eight wickets in hand and declared.

The Park finished at 5-61 in their second innings.

However, both games that featured play on day one (Lake Illawarra/Warilla Sports and The Rail/Kiama) were abandoned without another ball being bowled on Saturday.

All four teams received seven points for a draw.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide