FEDERAL Minister for Communications Malcolm Turnbull said all eyes were on Kiama to see how the area utilised the advantages of the National Broadband Network.
However, Mr Turnbull was unable to offer any more detail on the NBN rollout in Gerringong and Gerroa during his visit to Kiama last Friday.
Residents in Kiama Downs and Minnamurra have less than two months to move their phone and internet services to the NBN before copper services are retired.
Copper-based services will be wound down from May 23.
Mr Turnbull said there were many opportunities related to unlocking the potential of the NBN.
"I'm sure there are, but that's for the people of Kiama to exploit . . . it would be a pretty sad conclusion if the government paid to build this network, and then had to tell everybody how to use it," he said.
"Most people don't expect to be lectured on innovation by the government.
"All eyes are on Kiama to see how it exploits this amazing technological opportunity."
The Kiama and Jamberoo second release site has not been issued with a copper switch-off date and will not be affected by the changes at the first release site.
Gerringong and Gerroa's future in the NBN rollout has been uncertain since the April construction start date was removed from NBN's maps in November. They had been listed for optical fibre connection.
The minister couldn't assure Gerringong and Gerroa residents that they would get fibre to the premises.
"The business plan is being done at the moment," he said.
"I think it would be the most likely assumption is that there would be fibre to the node in those areas.
"I'm sorry that I can't provide instant answers, but we've inherited a project that has been colossally mismanaged."